I Am Pregnant; What Do I Need To Know About Breastfeeding?

We often receive mail from readers who either have something they want to talk about or have some questions to ask. We recently received this letter from Michelle in Montana:
"Dear Mothers Diary, 
I am pregnant, I don't know much in the way of raising babies as this is my first one. I have some questions about breast-feeding, I'm not sure if it's right for me. Is there any real difference between breast-feeding and giving my baby formula? I assume that if formula is approved by the FDA, it can't be that much different than breastmilk." 
Yes, there is a significant difference between formula and breast milk. Breastmilk is always 100% more nutritious for your baby then formula is. In cases where a mother cannot produce enough milk, is not available to produce milk, or for any other reason, formula is a fine alternative. Doctors always recommend that if the option exists, babies would benefit more from a mother's breast milk.
"I've also heard my friends say that breast-feeding hurts, which is part of the reason why I don't think it's right for me. I've never been good with pain."
Breast-feeding may hurt in some instances. That comes with the tenderness of the breast as they change to allow for more production of milk. Pain can also occur with the constant nibbling of the nipples caused by a babies sucking. Mothers have said that while their babies do not have teeth, the pain is not as bad as when they start to produce teeth and progress into biting. 

However, there are some things you can do to alleviate some of the pain. Lanolin cream is the number one doctor recommended cream for sore nipples and breasts. Under the supervision of a doctor you can apply the cream to your breasts, and continue into a lanolin regimen in order to reduce some of the pain.
"I've also heard that breast-feeding can be a natural birth control. I want to be on birth control after I give birth to my baby, but I don't want to use prescriptions. Is this a true method of contraception?"
Yes, breast-feeding is a natural contraceptive. While you're producing milk, your body translates this as having to provide nutrition for one offspring. While you were producing milk for this one offspring, your body will not allow you to become pregnant with another child. This is the body's natural way of protecting the concept of survival of offspring. 
 
Usually, the routine for breast-feeding contraception includes breast-feeding your baby or pumping at least every two hours everyday. Swaying from this routine could compromise your contraceptive method. You can talk more to your doctor about this, and he'll be able to give you a more well-rounded answer.
Share on Google Plus

About Staff

Mrs. Life Skills, formerly The Happy Housemaid, is a lifesttyle publisher.

0 comments :

Post a Comment